Monday, May 4, 2009

Supper Club (Don't forget your lactaid!)

Last Friday night my three favorite foodies and I had our April edition of supper club -yes, it was May 1st, we're procrastinators. The theme was 'Don't forget your lactaid!' which meant lots and lots of cheese. Also ice cream. Maggie (of 12blueberries) brought homemade bread AND homemade beer. She inspired me, so Anthony and I made our first solo homebrew this weekend, but that's another story for another time.
So for supper club.. I had appetizer and I just really couldn't narrow it down. I thought about baked cheese, spread cheese, broiled cheese, aged cheese, sprinkled cheese... and I started to feel like the shrimp guy in Forrest Gump. So I obsessively searched other blogs for ideas. Then I saw this: Figs with Ricotta and Pistachios. There were only two problems- too much like dessert for an appetizer, and of course fresh figs are not in season. And who has time for all that reconstituting when supper club is tomorrow? Not I. So a new idea was born- I give you:

Baked Stuffed Plums!



I thought they were awesome, and also super easy. Really low fat too, for those WWs among us, they're two points for each serving.

Following recipe serves four, two halves each:

4 firm plums
1/4 cup light ricotta
2 T white wine
zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
few shakes of oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 oz shredded mozzarella
2 T chopped pistachios

Halve plums, remove pits.
Put plums cut side up in a glass baking dish (I used an 8x8 and they were cozy). Splash a bit of water in the dish and throw the whole thing in the microwave for 5-6 mins.
Meanwhile, mix ricotta, wine, zest, juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
When the plums are come out, they should be a bit mushy in the center- mush them a bit with a fork and spoon the ricotta into each. Back in the micro for 2-3 mins. When you take them out there will be a bit of purpley plum syrup in the bottom of the dish.
Top with the mozz and put the whole thing under the broiler until the mozz starts to get brown and bubbly. Feel free to drizzle that syrup over the tops of the plums, and serve with pistachios.

No comments:

Post a Comment