Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Well everything certainly is better with chocolate. I've decided I spend too much time reading about what everyone else is doing in their kitchens, so I might as well share what I'm doing in mine!!
My family, friends, coworkers and people I meet in line at the grocery store will be happy too- maybe if I type out all my baking experiments, I'll be able to have conversations about other stuff.
Last night, I made chocolate chip cookies using a recipe I adapted from Vegan with a Vengance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. They are so, so dense and fudgy and sweet. Almost too sweet, if such a thing is possible. I don't have a pic, since I wasn't thinking of blogging and we turned them into sundaes and ate them already, but in the spirit of starting off sweet, I'll post the recipe anyway. (This is my version, not Isa's, though I certainly thank her for the original)

1/4 cup salted butter
1/6 cup applesauce
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 T blackstrap molasses
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t soda
2 milk chocolate hershey bars, broken up (I was out of chocolate chips!! Heresy!)

Preheat to 350.
In a pan on med heat, melt the butter. Once the butter starts to get a bit frothy, stir in applesauce, sugar, molasses and vanilla. Stir a bit until sugar is fairly dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside. Sift together flour, soda and salt.
Walk away for 10 or 15 minutes. Have some tea, check cnn for swine flu updates, etc.
Back to kitchen, and butter mixture should have cooled a bit. Stir it slowly into the flour mixture, alternating a bit of butter mix and the chocolate from 1 of the hershey bars. This will cause that bar to get melty. Once that is well mixed, chill it for a few minutes, just long enough so that the other chocolate won't instamelt when added. When it's chilled (I'd say fridge for like 10 mins)- add the rest of the chocolate. Drop by tablespoon onto greased pans. Bake for 8-10 mins.
It sounds time consuming, but it was so worth it. Definitely wasn't super chocolatey, but was very sweet and satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment